Black Seed Oil-- AKA Nigella Sativa

So, today, I was wandering through the "Today's Deals" section of Amazon, when I came upon something new. Black Seed Oil. Admittedly, I'm something of a supplement junkie, so I was intrigued by the fact that I had never heard of it before. I decided to read further about this particular product: Zhou Nutrtion Black Seed Oil Capsules.

The headline claims that they are a "Super Antioxidant for Immune Support, Digestion, Hair & Skin." But a quick trip to FakeSpot.com shows an F grade for the reviews: only 17.8% of those reviews are considered reliable.

As four Zhou Nutrition as a company, FakeSpot gives them a C grade, claiming that about 20% of the reviews across all of the company's products are unreliable.

Interestingly, ReviewMeta-- which I've recently learned is a site that does something very similar to FakeSpot, except that it also gives you an average score AFTER the unreliable reviews are omitted, reports that this product still earns a 4.9 star rating from the 36 reviews that it thinks is reliable. But it seems to think about a third of the reviews are reliable, as opposed to FakeSpot's 17.8%, so tread lightly.

Before I go on to point you in the direction of which Black Seed Oil-- Also known as "Nigella Sativa"-- supplements have more reliable reviews, a brief word on whether Black Seed Oil is beneficial at all: I don't know! But when I look into trying a new supplement, I usually cruise on over to Examine.com, which is a real neato site for taking a look at the aggregate results of various studies done on that supplement. The Examine.com results for Nigella Sativa seem to indicate that there is some evidence that it may have mild to moderate benefits on things like "allergies" "viral load," and "subjective well-being." I won't currently go into how to understand Examine.com since all of that can be read easily at the top of any supplement review page, but the gist is: if you're in the market for anew supplement, Black Seed Oil/Nigella Sativa might be worth doing your own research into, or just buying and seeing how react. However you prefer to do things.

So, which Black Seed Oil supplements have more reliable reviews?

Health Thru Nutrition Black Cumin Seed Oil is a very affordable alternative that gets an A rating on FakeSpot-- with over 90% reliable reviews-- and keeps it's 4.3/5 star rating with ReviewMeta. Bravo!

Amazing Herbs Black Seed Oil gets a respectable B grade from FakeSpot and a retains it's 4.4/5 with ReviewMeta.

I'm sure there are many options out there both good and bad, and perhaps I will one day update this post with a more exhaustive list. But for now, it's late and time for me to log off.

Thanks for reading my first actual product post! Leave a comment if you'd like to talk about your experience with Black Seed Oil, or the evidence on examine.com, or anything else. Cheers!*


*Full Disclosure: I'm not British. I've just been listening to a lot of Answer Me This.

Comments

Popular Posts